Are you passionate about the design, construction, and maintenance of electrical appliances? Do you wish to grow your career in the field of electricity? Then, Electrical Engineering can be your best choice with so many opportunities.
What is Electrical Engineering?
Electrical Engineering is the branch that deals with the technologies of the electrical industry. This involves the study, design, building, operation, and application of various systems related to electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. These systems range from small microchips to electric motors, transformers, and huge power station generators. The area of employment may include technology, science, military, industry, etc.
The Electrical Engineering syllabus usually includes;
- Electrical machines
- Electrical circuits
- Power engineering
- Control systems
- Signal processing
- Analog electronic circuits
- Electrical transducers and measurements
- DC machines and transformers
- Electrical drives and traction systems
- Thermal and hydraulic prime movers
- Electrical power system
- Analysis of electrical power system
- Power system operation and control
- High voltage engineering
- Microprocessor and microcontrollers
- Power system protection and switchgear
- Digital electronic circuits
- Electrical workshop practices
- Electrical engineering materials
- Power electronics
The sub-disciplines of Electrical Engineering are;
- Electronic Engineering
- Microelectronics Engineering
- Signal Processing Engineering
- Power Engineering
- Control Engineering
- Telecommunication Engineering
- Instrumentation Engineering
What are the skills required?
The skills required for an Electrical Engineer are;
- Teamworking skills
- Good technical abilities
- Project management
- The ability to work under pressure
You may also like : Computer Science & Engineering – Top Institutes, Career Opportunities
The eligibility to apply for Mechanical Engineering is to pass the class 10+12 exam from a recognized board. The core subjects must be physics, chemistry, and mathematics. A minimum aggregate mark of 50% is required for this stream.
How to apply?
The admission to the Electrical Engineering course is through various entrance examinations conducted by the authorities. The examinations are conducted at national, state, or university levels and the level of exam also depends on the standard of college. Some institutions provide admission according to the merit list of qualifying examinations.
- JEE Main is a national level entrance examination which is conducted by the CBSE board every year providing admissions to B.Tech programs in the country.
- JEE Advanced is an entrance examination conducted by one of the seven IITs , or Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore under the supervision of Joint Admission Board (JAB).
Top institutes in India to study Electrical Engineering-
- IIT Bombay
- College of Engineering, Pune
- Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
- IIT Madras
- Delhi Technological University, Delhi
- IIEST, Shibpur
- IIT Delhi
- College of Engineering, Trivandrum
Top foreign universities to study Electrical Engineering-
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), US
- Stanford University, US
- University of California Berkeley (UCB), US
- University of Cambridge, UK
- ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore
- Imperial College London, UK
- University of Oxford, UK
What does an Electrical Engineer do?
An Electrical Engineer applies the concepts of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism to plan, design, build and maintain electrical systems and equipment. They work with smaller electronic and electrical circuits and with the large scale production and distribution of electric power. The working environment of an Electrical Engineer includes power generation and distribution, wiring and lighting, heating, ventilation, lift systems, telecommunication systems, satellite communications, etc.
The career opportunities for an Electrical Engineer are vast. These include:
- Micro Electrical Engineer
- Electrical Engineer
- Telecommunications Engineer
- Power Engineer
- Instrumentation Engineer
- Electrical Design Engineer
Also read this : Top Scholarships for degree students – Get the full details here
- Indian Railways
- Airports Authority of India
- Reliance Power
- Lockheed Martin
- Texas Instruments
- General Electric
- Shell Oil Company
- Siemens Technology Services
- BMW Group
Electrical Engineering is one of the best courses you can choose after 12th. A lot of employment opportunities are available in this sector. If you are interested, choose this career to contribute your talent to the world of energy.