Are you passionate about vehicles and machines? Do you wish to build your career in the field of operation, maintenance, and construction of machines? Then Mechanical Engineering will open the gateway for you.
What is Mechanical Engineering (ME)?
Mechanical Engineering is the branch of objects and systems in motion. It deals with the planning, designing, construction, and use of machines. This may range from smaller systems like sensors or switches to the larger ones including vehicles, nuclear systems, and satellites. A Mechanical Engineer applies the concepts of Physics and Materials Science to convert innovative ideas into the finest products. Mechanical Engineering involves the study of the operation and maintenance of complex machines and their construction.
The Mechanical Engineering syllabus usually involves;
- Structural analysis
- Materials Science
- CAD (Computer-aided design)
- CAM (Computer-aided manufacturing)
- Heating and cooling systems
- Materials and metallurgy
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Manufacturing processes
- Design of machine elements
- Turbo machines
- Metrology and quality control
- Refrigeration and air conditioning
- Manufacturing plants
- Industrial equipment and machinery
What are the skills required?
The skills required for a Mechanical Engineer are;
- Analytical thinking
- Communication and leadership skills
- Team working skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Technical skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Math and computer skills
The eligibility to apply for Mechanical Engineering is to pass the class 10+12 exam from a recognized board. The core subjects must be physics, chemistry, and mathematics. A minimum aggregate mark of 60% is required.
How to apply?
The admission to the Mechanical Engineering course is obtained through various entrance examinations conducted by the authorities. The examinations are conducted at national, state, or university levels. Some institutions provide admission according to the merit list of qualifying examinations.
- JEE Main is a national level entrance examination conducted by the CBSE board for providing admissions to BTech programs in the country.
- JEE Advanced is an entrance examination conducted by one of the seven IITs namely, IIT Kanpur, IIT Delhi, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras, IIT Bombay, IIT Roorkee, and IIT Guwahati, or Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore under the supervision of Joint Admission Board (JAB).
Top institutes in India to study Mechanical Engineering-
- IIT Madras
- IIT Bombay
- IIT Kharagpur
- IIT Delhi
- IIT Kanpur
- IIT Roorkee
- IIT Hyderabad
- IIT Gandhinagar
- IIT Ropar
- IIT Patna
- IIT North Guwahati
- NIT, Tiruchiappalli
- Vellore Institute of Technology
Top foreign universities to study Mechanical Engineering-
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), US
- Stanford University, US
- University of Cambridge, UK
- Harvard University, US
- Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
- University of California, Berkeley (USB), US
- Imperial College, London, UK
- University of Oxford, UK
What does a Mechanical Engineer do?
A Mechanical Engineer designs power-producing machines. These include electric generators, steam and gas turbines, internal combustion engines, refrigeration, and air conditioning systems, etc. They play an unreplaceable role in the automotive industry. Besides the above field they contribute in aerospace, computers, robotics, electronics, etc. Mechanical Engineers apply the concepts of Physics and Materials Science to convert innovative ideas into the finest products.
The career opportunities for a Mechanical Engineer are vast. These include:
- Mechanical Engineer
- Industrial Engineer
- Automotive Engineer
- Biomedical Engineer
- Biotechnology Engineer
- HVAC Engineer
- Mechanical Engineering Technician
- COAL India
- Larsen & Toubro
- TATA Group
Mechanical Engineering is one of the leading branches of engineering that you can choose after the 12th. It is the gateway to the world of moving machines. It several employment opportunities. Convert your innovative ideas into the finest products by choosing this profession.